Hackers and your passwords, QDEL, smart home tips and more / Daily digest

 Was this post forwarded to you? Follow me here 



📡On my radar 

How Long It Would Take A Hacker To Brute Force Your Password In 2024, Ranked

There's a good chance that the password you've been using since middle school can be cracked in seconds.


Most Tech Jobs Are Jokes And I Am Not Laughing

I've followed through on my commitment to interview in the tech industry without relying entirely on in-network referrals as I normally do (for a good reason - my network consists largely of the most competent people at mediocre companies!). It is dystopian out there. These are some anecdotes on my interviewing experience, the treatment you get as a job-seeker, and some serious reflections on whether I should just... well, outright leave the tech industry, despite the many conveniences that it affords me.


CIO

CIOs in transition: 5 tips for landing your next IT leadership job

Every IT leader will experience being out of work at some point in their career. How you approach this transitionary period will have a profound impact on the trajectory of your career.


DEVELOPER

We’re All the New Pickers in The Farm

What happens when workers are treated as expendable variables rather than valued contributors to the company’s success.


CYBERSECURITY

Top 10 physical security considerations for CISOs

Securing premises and devices from physical attacks can be just as challenging as defending against cyber threats. Collaboration and communication with all teams involved is the key to success.


How the ToddyCat threat group sets up backup traffic tunnels into victim networks

The Chinese APT group is using a variety of tools to infiltrate networks and steal large amounts of data.


AI

Generative A.I. Arrives in the Gene Editing World of CRISPR

Much as ChatGPT generates poetry, a new A.I. system devises blueprints for microscopic mechanisms that can edit your DNA.


AI companies are making millions producing election content in India

As India’s political parties pay for AI ads, startups say they have set their own “ethical” boundaries around deepfakes.


My deepfake shows how valuable our data is in the age of AI

And it’s scary how little control we have over how it’s used.

Deepfakes are getting good. Like, really good. Earlier this month I went to a studio in East London to get myself digitally cloned by the AI video startup Synthesia. They made a hyperrealistic deepfake that looked and sounded just like me, with realistic intonation. It is a long way away from the glitchiness of earlier generations of AI avatars. The end result was mind-blowing. It could easily fool someone who doesn’t know me well.


 🤖 Cool Technology

 

Meet QDEL, the backlight-less display tech that could replace OLED in premium TVs

Interested in gadgets with premium displays? QDEL should be on your radar.


7 smart home tips to help you save energy and reduce waste

Don't have any smart home devices? You might want to change that after reading these tips


MORE NEWS

Looking for more great content? Follow the page on Facebook


We appreciate you. See you around in the tech world

Comments